Everybody in Alberta knows there’s energy in the ground, but many don’t realize that’s true beyond oil reserves. The earth, through its spinning molten core and radiation from the sun, stores a colossal amount of heat energy. By utilizing the stored energy in our own backyard, we can design a heating and cooling system that is up to 500% more efficient – giving you up to 5 kWh of heat for a single kWh of energy used. This will not only lessen your dependence on an energy grid that depends on unsustainable practices but also gives you a way to escape the constant rise of energy prices.
At Energy Smart, we supply every component required to install and maintain a geothermal system, including pumps, compressors, pipes, ground source heat exchangers and heat exchange fluid. With the best brands available, as well as over 200 geothermal systems installed of all types, we can design, install and maintain a geothermal system to fit your lifestyle.
Check out our the benefits below to see what geothermal can do for you. For more information on how to harness the earth’s free energy, connect with us today!
Request A Free Site Inspection
How Does Geothermal Energy Work?
The earth is one-part battery and one-part heater. It stores the energy it receives from solar rays and exudes heat from its spinning, molten core. By utilizing a geothermal system, you can tap into that energy, using it to not only heat but also cool your home.
While this may seem complicated, the actual process is pretty straightforward:
- An antifreeze mixture is pumped through pipes buried deep in the ground.
- In the winter, the liquid inside the pipes gathers heat from the ground. This liquid is pumped through a heat exchanger, where the heat is compressed and used to heat your home.
- In the summer, the system is reversed and the excess heat from your home is transferred back into the ground via the liquid.
Geothermal setups come in four varieties that work with different property types.
- Horizontal loops – the pipes are laid horizontally in the ground. This makes installation easy, but takes up a lot of room.
- Vertical loops – the pipes are laid out vertically. This requires more effort during the installation phase but allows people with small, residential yards to take advantage of geothermal heating/cooling.
- Pond loops - the pipes are laid out in a pond. This offers quick installation if a pond is available. This type of installation is most frequently used on acreages and farms.
- Open loops - instead of using a loop and antifreeze, an open loop uses water from an aquifer or a pre-drilled well to exchange heat with the earth, then pumps it away from the house and deposits it into a pond.
Benefits Of Geothermal
- Won’t dry out the air in your home, making humidity control much easier
- Holds house at a constant temperature – within a degree Fahrenheit
- Eliminates hot/cold spots in the house
- Quieter than traditional systems
- Heats to any temperature you want without needing a secondary system
- Combines heating and cooling in one system
- Requires less maintenance than other systems
A Solid Investment
- System efficiency saves up to 50% on heating and 75% on cooling costs
- The appraised value of a home is increased by an average of $20,000 - $25,000
Efficient & Responsible
- System efficiencies of 400%-500%
- No emissions at point of use
- Safe – no combustion and thus no CO2, as well as a lowered chance of house fires
- Eliminates gas usage on the property allowing for the possibility of going utility-free (off the grid)
- Substantial warranty for a reliable, high-quality system
- Provides 100% of your heating and cooling needs, no backup or auxiliary sources are needed
Solar & Geothermal
We have geothermal heating and solar panels from Energy Smart! We’ve had maybe one issue in the two years and Rudy had the team out to fix the problem the next day! Would recommend them to anyone.
Energy Smart Customer
The service and the atmosphere! I love the owner and how he is so down to earth and intentionally friendly.
Energy Smart Customer
I have been a customer since 2006. The service is excellent as is quality of their products.
Geothermal Energy FAQ
Don't see your question here? Contact us today with any questions you have and we'll be happy to answer them!